Monday, May 5, 2008

Mighty Crown...East Coast Rulaz!


For the longest time, way before I came to Japan, I kept hearing the name Mighty Crown associated with Reggae and sound clashes. All I really knew about them was that they were supposedly really good Japanese Reggae djs and that they won some sound clashes in Jamaica. I wanted to go to one of their dances when they were in Toronto, but it never quite worked out so I decided that being in Japan I had to see them before I left. Well a couple weeks ago I did just that, just barely though. Khaleelah had been telling Toya, Tamla and I about this party for about a month and for some reason we slacked on buying tickets. I went to buy mine the week prior only to discover that they were sold out. I panicked because I had already purchased my bus tickets and the hotel was reserved. Not to worry I would figure out a plan B. Luckily I had just met a Japanese promoter/club owner/artist a few weeks prior named Zebraman. Yea, I was shocked by that too...his real name is Takahiro but Zebraman is his stage name. You would never think this man was Japanese because he is forever speaking patois. He lived in Jamaica for a few years and then moved to New York, but that's a different story for a different day. Fast forward to the fact that he was able to hook us up with guest list access under his name. Khaleelah had to drop out last minute so it was the 3 of us that went. All I have to say is that
although it was crazy of me to go to Tokyo that weekend to be back two days later with my visitor, it was well worth it! I now see why Mighty Crown calls themself the East Coast Rulaz! They were GREAT! The vibe was positive and full of energy all night. I am definitely going to see them again. In fact they will be in Osaka with Tarrus Riley as their special guest, the countdown begins!

PICTURES

1 comment:

Angel Brown said...

Yuh Lucky! thats all I have to say.